These slouchy overalls are probably one of the cuter things I’ve made! I swear, every time I wear them, some girl hollers from near by that she loves my overalls, asks where I got them and then freaks out when I say that I made them. That’s some solid validation right there that these dungarees are dope!
Pattern & Construction:
Kwik Sew K4138 is a very simple pattern and easy to put together. Here’s what I did:
- Cut the bib, straps and waist in size SMALL. I should have cut them in the XS instead – I ended up having to shorten the straps and take in the waist quite a bit.
- Cut the pants in X-SMALL for the pants. But I’ll warn you that the pants are very wide. I ended up shaving an extra 1″ off from all sides of the legs.
There’s only one suggestion I’d make for this pattern:
The instructions suggest that the interfacing for the bib, waistband and straps be attached to the facing (as per usual). But for this project, I would prefer to have the interfacing attached to the outer layer /shell instead because it looks nice and firm from the outside. I ended up flipping the bib and straps so the facing is on the outside and the shell is on the inside. The waistband is per instruction and if you look closely in the image below, you can see the seam allowance and gathers (that are hidden inside the waistband) showing through because it doesn’t have that extra layer of interfacing.
- Light weight chambray.
- 2m with lots left over.
- Very easy to work with.
I don’t remember the last time I wore a pair of overalls, but I’m really happy with how these turned out! They’re fun to wear and incredibly cozy and comfortable. I’d love to make these again but maybe in a linen or something, but not til next year…cuz, you know…Summer’s pretty much over now. Womp Womp! If you have any other ideas for what material I could try to make these in next so I don’t have to wait until 2019, leave a comment below and help a sister out!
Photos: Tasmia Rahman.